Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding Next: RE: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:57:34 -0800
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

Well, there's two major factors at play here.  The first is how much an
interstellar culture cares about the lives of their warriors.  The
second is
how expensive it is to actually support a living crew in the first
place.
In real life, these two things have come together in our own space
travel
enough that we just don't send manned craft over longer distances than
low
Earth orbit very much, and when we do it's often more just to say that
we've
accomplished it than for any real mission purpose that requires them to
be
there.	The sheer amount of extra biomass you have to haul around to
service
a living crew is enough that if it's not mission-critical to have one
there,
you just wouldn't bother.

However, in a military situation it's not hard to see a scenario where
you'd
want a living commander, just because the one thing that humans still do

better than computers is to grasp the complexities of what their
superiors
back home really want and be able to make a decision on the spot that
will
reflect that.  There are some maintenance and other issues that are
based
off of this, but a culture that can move a large vessel over
interstellar
distances probably has also developed the technology for ships that can
automate their own repairs to a degree that it's not worth having a
living
crew just to keep the things running.

Once you get to that point, one of two things is likely to happen in any

starfaring culture that does, in fact, care about their warriors' lives.

One is that you would have a living commander or chain of command with a

fleet where almost all of the grunt work that science fiction loves to
put
in the hands of living crews is automated and modularized.  If the fleet
is
in a winning situation, the commander just executes the battle plan with

whatever operational crew he needs on his flagship.  If it's not, the
manned
elements would likely withdraw to a safe distance while giving orders to

their subordinate unmanned warships for whatever holding actions or
suicide
missions are needed to pursue any other critical missions that the fleet
is
required to do, and the manned ships themselves then becomes their own
escape craft.