Prev: RE: [GZG] Ship point values and effectiveness Next: Re: [GZG] Ship point values and effectiveness

Re: [GZG] Cruisers and Destroyers in the FT world

From: Brian B <brianbinor@g...>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 07:30:40 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] Cruisers and Destroyers in the FT world

On 1/16/06, Thomas Barclay <kaladorn@magma.ca> wrote:

> Also, I don't know if it applies in the days of powered boating, but
there are formula for
> roughing out how many knots a sailboat should be able to make and it
relates to keel
> length (perhaps waterline length might be more appropos). A 150'
sailboat is a *heck* of a
> lot faster across long distances than a 30' boat. I wonder if, due to
economy of scale
> principles, large ships like the cruisers could outspeed destroyers?

The reason this doesn't necessarily transfer well to FT is simple:
Space isn't full of water.  From what I remember, the ability of
larger ships to fo faster than smaller ships, at least in the Age of
Sail, had to do with drag and the dynamics of the hull interacting
with the water.

Prev: RE: [GZG] Ship point values and effectiveness Next: Re: [GZG] Ship point values and effectiveness