Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems

Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:09:01 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems

On 1/11/06, B Lin <lin@rxkinetix.com> wrote:

> Part of the problem here is that you are examining the example from a
> single side.

I generally only play one side per game.

> vulnerable to losing to random shots. So to summarize, Blue is in a
> vulnerable position and must expend effort to keep DD1 alive at all
> costs (even throwing away the SDN) keep from losing - this doesn't
mean
> he will automatically win, just that he prevents the opponent from
> achieving his goal.

Your tactics are backwards.  You know what the enemy's mission is and
play to avoid letting them complete it.  But you don't know what your
mission is.  That's strange, and I don't understand how it could ever
be the basis of rational tactical decision-making.

> Red Fleet - Keep the BB and CA in a second line, just in range of
their
> weapons but not so far forward to make them enticing targets.  Expend
> the CL's in a direct attack on the SDN as it is the biggest weapon
> threat.  If it turns out the SDN is not worth all the victory points,
> then mopping up the remaining DD's should be easy.

Ever hear of a thing called defeat in detail?  That's what you are
inviting with this deployment.

> Many real-life scenarios are based on general info - opposing leaders
> are meeting in building X - capture and extract them.

That's not general info. That's very specific info.  Move in, cordon
off the area, and bag and tag every military-age male in sight.  Then
bring in the experts who check identification papers and conduct brief
tactical questioning and determine who goes and who stays.  That's
perfectly good information to plan a  mission.

You may not know
> at the beginning of the scenario exactly which of the 100 people in
the
> building are the ones you want, but you know they are in there, so you
> simply capture them all and sort them out later.  If you happen to
grab
> your targets in the first 10 people, then you have achieved your goal
> and you scoot.

Sez you.

> Find weapon Cache in Block Y - trucks have been observed unloading
> crates to various buildings in Block Y, a weapons cache exists there,
> find and destroy it.	You may not know the exact building or the
people
> involved, but you simply work your way through each building in the
> block until you find it and remove or destroy it. You may get lucky
and
> one of the guys you capture gives up info on the cache and you don't
> have to search each and every room/basement/hole in the ground.

Or, since you know the enemy likes to split their caches up among
various buildings for just this reason, you search every damn basement
anyway in case you overlooked something.

Your examples do cause me to retract an earlier statement.  It's
obvious you aren't an armchair strategist.  Even someone who's read a
couple books wouldn't be trying to teach me my own business.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems