Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game

Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:36:30 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game

>I would like to teach my nephews to play Full Thrust. Unfortunately,
>computer video games have shortened their attention span. I think
>the one thing that will put them off is plotting moves for the
>individual ships. So, I would like to introduce houserules that do
>away with plotting.  I recognize that it is still important to
>keep track of the previous turn's speed, so I'll make up some counters
>to put on each ship's stand to record this.

[snip]

I've always considered the plotted movement (and hence the need to
anticipate your opponent's intentions) to be a very fundamental part
of FT,	and while it's certainly possible to play it in various ways
without plotted movement, that makes it a very different game.

My preferred method for playing the game with young and/or
inexperienced players who find the concept or execution of plotted
movement a problem is this:

Assuming you have one experienced/adult player against a youngster or
newbie, make the experienced player plot movement as normal for
his/her ships, then allow the young player to move his/her ships
(without plotting, but still adhering to the normal movement rules
and restrictions). Finally the experienced player moves in accordance
with the plotted orders. The end result of this is essentially the
same as if both sides plotted and then moved as normal, thus
preserving the feel of the game.
Yes, this method does mean that there are problems with placed marker
weapons like SMs (though only if the experienced player is using them
- the youngster can use them in the normal way without problems), but
probably you would be better sticking to simple direct fire systems
when teaching young players anyway. As they get more used to the rest
of the game, then maybe you can introduce them to the full plotted
movement at a later stage.

Best,

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game