Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] Re: Jon's question on rotate/thrust/rotate Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

From: "K.H.Ranitzsch" <kh.ranitzsch@t...>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 13:45:14 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

Charles Taylor schrieb:

> # Return to the FB1 concept where the Main Drive just produces
> accelleration in the direction the ship is pointing, and there are
> separate 'manoeuvre' thrusters that can turn/push the ship as
> described in FB1. Pushes foward ARE allowed unless otherwise
> mentioned.

I have nver played vector, so this is all theory, mainly argued from a
physics plausibility and general game streamlining point of view.

I too, think there should be little problem in separating main thrust
engines and rotational thrusters. Even where in configurations where the

main drive is used for rotation, there must be extra arrangements to
allow it to exert the neccessary torque. So there is no conceptual
problem in costing rotational (and sideways) thrust separately.

An additional SSD icon for the rotation ability doesn't seem overly
cumbersome.

If you want to keep the present point values, you could say that the
default rotation is the same as the main thrust and costs 0 points,
while slower turning gives you a point bonus and faster turn costs more.
But aren't points cost going to be revised anyway to remove the
excessive advantage for large ships ?

To make the chance of a hit depend on the amount of rotation before the
shot sounds like a reasonable balancing mechanism, but might be too
cumbersome in play - testing this will be neccessary. The question also
is for which weapons this will be used. Or should this depend rather on
the quality of the fire control equipment ?

Another question is how much this really is a problem in vector. I see
it clearly is a problem in one-on-one encounters, but with multiple
ships per side, wouldn't there be many instances where side arc weapons
come in handy ?

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] Re: Jon's question on rotate/thrust/rotate Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....