Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] I'm back

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:18:52 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

David Stokes wrote:

>An idea had occurred to me which I have not seen mentioned yet. I'm not

>convinced I think it is a good idea yet, so take it for what its worth.
>One of the things mentioned in the rotation discussion was the effect
of
>moment of inertia and big ships zipping about like fighters. But I'm
used
>to playing with mostly small ships and so I like them able to move
>quickly. How to make the big ships move like big ships and yet have the

>small ships able to outmaneuver them?

Using proposal "3)" and equipping your small ships with higher Thrust
Ratings than your large ships will do the trick nicely :-/

>Maybe have different rotation rates for different sized ships. As an
>example: taking the classes from 2nd edition, Capital ships turn 30
>degrees per point, Cruisers turn 60 degrees, and Escorts turn as much
as
>they want.

But how do you define "capital ships", "cruisers" and "escorts"?

If an "escort" is defined as no larger than Mass X, a cruiser is
anything
between Mass X+1 and Mass Y, and a capital ship anything of Mass Y+1 or
larger, then a Mass increase of just one single point will suddenly make

the ship *much* clumsier... with the result that no-one ever builds
ships
of Mass X+1 or Y+1, while ships of Mass X or Y become extremely common.
(FWIW this is exactly why the Fleet Book design system abolished the FT2

"capital/cruiser/escort" class system.)

BTW, why should a superdreadnought with Main Drive 6 be any clumsier
than a
corvette with Main Drive 2?

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] I'm back