Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] Installing Shiptool on a Mac.

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

From: Inire <inire@y...>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:53:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

thanks for taking an interest in li'l ol' us! ;-)

--- Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com> wrote:

<snippo>

> 1) The system as it currently stands (FT/FB1/FB2
> standard): ie, 1
> thrust point will rotate any ship to any heading in
> vector movement.

> c) I've actually played this (with IJSF, KV, ESU,
NSL, UN fleets) -
>  and like it.

> Feel free to add comments as to WHY you
> like/dislike.....
Reason I like it: with all the abstraction required in
FT generally, it 'feels' right that this rule takes
into account at least the notion of the relevant
physics; once a object is set in motion, yadda yadda.

> 2) The system used in the EFSB (the Babylon Project
> FT variant),
> where 1 thrust point only allows rotation by 1
> course point (30
> degrees).
>

> b) I haven't played this but dislike it in theory.
>
> Feel free to add comments as to WHY you
> like/dislike.....
persuant to the above 'physics' argument, this mode
doesn't model anything for me better than the above
rule (question #1); in fact, it sounds like a handwave
for a universe that has 'draggy space' or something.
In 'Cinematic', do whatcha want with PSB around turns
and all, but in vector, an attempt at modelling the
actual movement of ships, simple is better.

> 3) 1 thrust point allows rotation by up to 2 course
> points (60 degrees).
>
> b) I haven't played this but dislike it in theory.
Pretty much spelled this out in #2...

4) Modified FB1/FB2 standard - 1 thrust point rotates
to any heading,
BUT only ONE rotation maneuver allowed per turn... in
other words you
can rotate for maneuver purposes and then thrust, OR
thrust and then
rotate to fire, but NOT rotate/thrust/rotate.....

Opinions?

we have argued this in our regular FT group and it
comes down to whether the duration of the turn models
actual fleet movement (which we play as simultaneous
movement/fire effects) or whether what happens on the
board is just a 'SITREP' image that shows what is
going on from a great remove; in the former case, the
ability to rotate/thrust/rotate is consistent with a
realtime-ish display (which is what _I_ prefer)
whereas in the latter case the 'snapshot' of the
events displayed doesn't really allow for the wiggling
implied by R/T/R etc movement.

ymmv.

Jeff "My dice hate me!" Fearnow
Gaming to keep War out of RealTime!

"'DESTROY THE WITNESSES!!. Chaffing aside, I have no answer: I Excrete
Sour Cream!" www.wigu.com, 29 Jan 2003

DR650SM "Recon Viggie"/DOD#1890

Seen Serenity yet?
http://www.serenitymovie.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] Installing Shiptool on a Mac.