Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] I'm back Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:35:39 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

Tony Christney wrote:

>>>4) Modified FB1/FB2 standard - 1 thrust point rotates to any heading,

>>>BUT only ONE rotation maneuver allowed per turn... in other words you

>>>can rotate for maneuver purposes and then thrust, OR thrust and then
>>>rotate to fire, but NOT rotate/thrust/rotate.....
>>
>>b) I haven't played this but dislike it in theory.
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>Basically, with this concept the differences between different MD
ratings
>>become even smaller than they are in FB1/FB2 - MD2 ships are still
just
>>as able to keep the enemy in arc as MD6A ones are, but now the MD6
ship
>>doesn't even have any noticable advantage in course changing ability.
>
>Except that you are adding a magnitude 5 vector instead of a magnitude
1
>vector to
>your course vector. IMO, this is a noticeable advantage.

Granted, but in my experience the MD2 ship's much higher firepower and
stronger defences (it only spends 20% of its Mass on engines, as opposed
40% for the MD6A ship) are usually an even more noticable
counter-advantage.

>It also gives advanced drives an advantage because they don't have to
>"waste" their rotation to point their main drives in order to change
course.

This is *exactly* the advantage they have in current FB2 Vector - and it

isn't anywhere near enough to set them apart from the Standard drives.
In
FB2 Vector an MD4A drive has the same total cost and virtually the same
capabilities as an MD5 drive - the only difference is that the MD5 is
slightly *better* for accellerating straight ahead...

>For human ships, it makes multi-arc weapons useful as it allows you to
>shoot at the enemy when your primary objective is manoeuvre.

But the primary reason *to* manoeuvre is to bring your weapons to bear
so
you can shoot at the enemy... and single-arc weapons give you a lot more
fire *with* than multi-arc weapons do :-/

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] I'm back Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....