Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

From: wscottfield@c...
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 15:33:37 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

My $0.02:

> 1) The system as it currently stands (FT/FB1/FB2 standard): ie, 1
> thrust point will rotate any ship to any heading in vector movement.
>
> c) I've actually played this (with XXXX fleet(s) - please specify) and
like it.
> d) I've actually played this (with XXXX fleet(s) - please specify)
> and dislike it.

C & D:	I've only played vector with human fleets, so can't comment on
the aliens. Good & bad.  I really like the overall feel of the system,
and find it perfectly playable as is. (The FB2 changes were an
improvement IMO.)  What I dislike is the turn-burn-turn maneuver which
allows you to always wind up facing the direction you want; it makes
targetting too predictable.  I normally use a houserule of only one
rotation per turn, which seems to fix this.

> 2) The system used in the EFSB (the Babylon Project FT variant),
> where 1 thrust point only allows rotation by 1 course point (30
> degrees).
>
> d) I've actually played this (with XXXX fleet(s) - please specify)
> and dislike it.

Like EFSB overall, especially how it captured the feel of the show.  But
if we're talking about exporting this rule to FT in general, I think it
makes low-THR ships too hard to steer.	A THR-2 ship would take 3 turns
just to reverse it's facing, never mind altering it's course. What's the
fun of space combat if you can't maneuver?

> 3) 1 thrust point allows rotation by up to 2 course points (60
degrees).

> b) I haven't played this but dislike it in theory.

Seems like an improvement over the EFSB rule, but I think I would still
prefer the current system (with the addition of the house rule mentioned
above).

One other vector "fix" I've thought about but haven't gotten around to
playtesting is doubling ships' THR rating for vector movement.	(Or
halving the cost of movement; same basic idea.)  It seems like that
would make ships more maneuverable while still maintaining the feel of
the vector system.  It might also make Options 2 & 3 easier to swallow.
But again, I haven't actually playtested it yet.

FWIW

Scott "Yes I'm Still Here I Just Don't Post Much" Field

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....