Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

More Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:36:50 +0000
Subject: More Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

Laserlight wrote:

>  > 1) The system as it currently stands (FT/FB1/FB2 standard): ie, 1
>>  thrust point will rotate any ship to any heading in vector movement.
>
>>  d) I've actually played this (with XXXX fleet(s) - please specify)
>>  and dislike it.
>
>I have played this with KV, NSL, IF, NI, ORC, UN, FSE, NAC, ESU, and
>others. It has problems:
>a) unless you're in close range, it's easy to put your target in F
>arc--so if you want to win in vector, you might as well throw out most
>of the FB designs. This means that you have some barriers to just
>putting some lead on the table and playing--you have to design your
>own ships (which I like, but not everyone does), and make your own
>SSDs (which is a pain).
>b) The "homebrew fleets" thing also means that we're no longer sharing
>the same degree of community experience, which I think is important to
>keeping people active. If I say that I took three Jerez against two
>Maria von B, any FT player will know what I'm talking about. If I go
>to a con and find I'm facing KV, I have a pretty good idea what to do,
>without a long explanation.
>c) it makes some cheesy maneuvers possible.  Let's say you have a MD4
>ship pursuing a MD6 ship in direction 12. Your opponent can start out
>facing you, Rotate to 12, Thrust by 4, then Rotate to 6. He spends 5/6
>of his turn facing away from you, but still gets the benefit of
>shooting at you with his F arc.

Further to original question posed, and prompted by Laserlight's
comments above, a fourth option:

4) Modified FB1/FB2 standard - 1 thrust point rotates to any heading,
BUT only ONE rotation maneuver allowed per turn... in other words you
can rotate for maneuver purposes and then thrust, OR thrust and then
rotate to fire, but NOT rotate/thrust/rotate.....

Opinions?

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....