Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] A planetary assault as a wargames campaign Next: RE: Re: [GZG] A planetary assault as a wargames campaign

Re: Re: [GZG] A planetary assault as a wargames campaign

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:04:07 -0500
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] A planetary assault as a wargames campaign

John Tailby said:
> Based on my reading of the GZG universe I don't think that the
starships have the ability to decend vertically from orbit into the
planetary surface either.

If they have the thrust and the fuel, there's no obvious reason why
they couldn't go deep into the atmosphere. The ship design process
doesn't say anything about fuel, so it sounds "effectively unlimited";
as for thrust,	the general consensus is that Thrust 1 is 1 gee, and
almost all ships have Thrust 2 or better. I grant that I don't recall
any instance in the history of a ship going close in, so I'm assuming
it's for tactical reaons rather than physical ones.

It could also be that the drives don't work properly in atmosphere or
some such, but if so, why have "streamlined" as a design choice?

> I also can't imagine a support vessel in a GZG universe that
combines the attributes of orbital shuttle and helecopter gunship.

I can, I just think it might be expensive.  Of course, it's your
scenario, do what you want.

> If the defenders fall back into the colony urban areas then the
technological advantages of the attackers may be mitigated.

Rather depends on who they're fighting, doesn't it?  The Kra'Vak
aren't likely to exercise restraint out of concern for civilian
casualties.