Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

[GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:53:56 +0100
Subject: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

On 11/24/05, Brian Burger <blurdesign@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/23/05, John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > To properly capture the flavor of guerilla warfare, you need to run
30
> > scenarios where the government forces run up and down the road and
> > cordon-and-search and so on and NOTHING HAPPENS.
>
> I remember reading, a while back, a Boer War scenario that basically
did this.

> The British player started out at the short end of a long table full
> of terrain, with a few Boer scouts visible on the crest of a hill a
> little ways off, and reports from higher command of a larger Boer
> force "somewhere out there" that he had to run down.
>
> Except that there was no larger Boer force, and the British forces
> just marched the length of the map, quivering. There was some
> mechanism for "your scouts report X" to keep the British going, but no
> actual Boer forces ever on the table.
>
> It struck me as amusing, and evil, and likely to irritate players.
<grin>

Perfectly realistic.  That's what make guerillas dangerous to the
individual soldier.  After 30 patrols, there's a tendency to become
"complacent and lackadasical" (to quote one of my SLs from Iraq).  An
alert soldier who knows the shit is going down in a serious way is
going to eat a pack of guerillas for breakfast.  It's the hidden
dangers that get you.

> - who has just realized that gmail contains no mechanism for changing
> subject lines when replying to an email. drat -

Yes, it does.  "Edit subject" link at the top of the email.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault