Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

From: Brian Burger <blurdesign@g...>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:51:08 -0800
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

On 11/23/05, John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> To properly capture the flavor of guerilla warfare, you need to run 30
> scenarios where the government forces run up and down the road and
> cordon-and-search and so on and NOTHING HAPPENS.

I remember reading, a while back, a Boer War scenario that basically did
this.

The British player started out at the short end of a long table full
of terrain, with a few Boer scouts visible on the crest of a hill a
little ways off, and reports from higher command of a larger Boer
force "somewhere out there" that he had to run down.

Except that there was no larger Boer force, and the British forces
just marched the length of the map, quivering. There was some
mechanism for "your scouts report X" to keep the British going, but no
actual Boer forces ever on the table.

It struck me as amusing, and evil, and likely to irritate players.
<grin>

Brian
- who has just realized that gmail contains no mechanism for changing
subject lines when replying to an email. drat -

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault