RE: [GZG] Phalon meaness and how to beat it
From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:41:47 +1100
Subject: RE: [GZG] Phalon meaness and how to beat it
The last opponent I had that tried that was in a tournament. He ramped
speed up to about 45-50 and dumped plasma all over the place.
There are several ways to deal with it:
1. High speed and random course changes with close-in firing passes;
2. Long range weaponry (36+) and stay outside his plasmabolt placement
3. Screen-2 and double normal PDS batteries;
4. Fighters (especially at high speeds); and
5. <sure there's more ways, can't think of off-hand>
Usually that sort of fleet doesn't have many beam-based weapons as
so you just need to out-manouvre him and accept that you will take some
damage. Lots of Plasmabolt-1s are not a big threat; you only need to
about the larger bolts. Plasmabolt-1s are only good as point defence
channel you into his bigger bolts.
A single firing pass with beams will decimate his fleet (make sure to
the ships that DIDN'T fire plasmabolts that turn).
I have a short summary of the tournament results here:
The real damage of plasmabolts is that they regenerate every 2 turns, so
need to go in hard and fast before the endurance outlasts you. This is
partly what happened in the big FTJava game that finished a few weeks
The formations interpenetrated, which gave the plasmabolts time to
between firing passes.
'Neath Southern Skies
> -----Original Message-----
> From: On Behalf Of John Tailby
> Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 11:23 AM
> To: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
> Subject: [GZG] Phalon meaness and how to beat it
> At a recent game at out club one player designed a phalon
> fleet based heavily on the Plasma bolt launcher.
> His fleet had 4 capital units mounting multiple PBLs and a
> squardon of small frigates and corvettes all mounting a class 1 PBL.
> Being able to deposit about 20 PBLs to carpet the table area
> took the opponent by surprise.
> Massed PBLS are also very hard to kill.
> We have placed a limit on the number of PBLs a ship can carry
> to no more than one launcher per 50 mass of ship, otherwise
> you get a capital ship with 12 size 1 PBLS that can carpet the table.
> It still looked pretty mean though.
> have other people done this in their game groups and what was
> the consensus on a fleet based around the PBL doctrine?
1. Before opening any attachments, please check for viruses.
2. This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential
for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender and delete all copies of this email.
3. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and are
a statement of Australian Government Policy unless otherwise stated.
4. Electronic addresses published in this email are not conspicuous
and DVA does not consent to the receipt of commercial electronic
5. Please go to http://www.dva.gov.au/feedback.htm#sub to unsubscribe
of this type from DVA.
6. Finally, please do not remove this notice.
Gzg-l mailing list