Prev: Re: [GZG] maximum possible thrust Next: Re: [GZG] Converting 25mm Resin vehicles

Re: [GZG] Converting 25mm Resin vehicles

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:20:56 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Converting 25mm Resin vehicles

Hi Roger,

>My thought was to fill the void with a resin pour.  Then I would cut
the
>troop compartment off and carve the cutoff surfaces.

Too much effort.  Martin pointed out using an epoxy putty.  That would
be
much less effort.

I'd consider doing it with plasticard also.

>Is this the best way to go about it or should I make a mold of the
wombat
>and fill in the parts I don't want with modelling clay?

Far more effort than it is worth... unless you want more than one of
them.

>If I do the hack and grind method what is the best way to cut resin?

Hand saw.  Maybe in a mitre box or a bench vice or something like that.

You could try using a "micro saw" (hand saw with very fine tooth - Xacto

makes them - but I've found they take forever to cut through anything
except thin plasticard and styrene plastic parts)

>   Will a hot-wire cutter cut it?

No.  Not any of the common hobby-type hot wire cutters, anyway.  I have
couple of hand held models and my friend has a "table" model, and none
of
those would do resin.  They're designed for blown-foam material, not for

something as solid as a big block of resin.

>  handsaw?  I'd think a circular saw would be a bit much.

Probably, yes.

You could do it with a band saw if you had one that was precise.  Maybe
table mounted reciprocating saw (jig saw?) or scroll saw, but I suspect
all
of those might cut out more material than you'd want.

And that assumes you have a band saw sitting around...

>Can I carve it with a wood-burning tool or will I need to use a dremel?

Dremel, and a light touch.

Good luck!

Adrian

ps - careful of fumes if you use anything that will cause the material
get hot, like a dremel.  And wash your hands well afterwards...  (and
wash
the resin well beforehand, with dish detergent and a scrubbing brush of
some kind - but you probably know that already...)

Prev: Re: [GZG] maximum possible thrust Next: Re: [GZG] Converting 25mm Resin vehicles