Prev: Re: [GZG] A FT question asked by 1 of our Junior players today Next: Re: [GZG] Beta Playtest Rules

Re: [GZG] Beta Playtest Rules

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:44:47 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Beta Playtest Rules

Claus Paludan wrote:

>Nice intro to how you would like the reports - do you by any chance
have a
>report in this format you would care to share with us - examples are
>always good :)

Here's a good example, posted by Roger Burton West in spring 2003. The
battle features a UNSC-led human alliance facing Kra'Vak and Sa'Vasku,
using alpha-test SV rules and the beta-test fighter rules. I've put in
some
comments about the report in [OA: square brackets] here and there.

***
Setup:
======

The year is 2189. The Kra'Vak invasion of human space continues
unabated. In a forgotten spacelane near a third-rate star, a mixed task
force under United Nations leadership attempts to prevent a War Family
from rejoining the main fleet, only to discover that the Sa'Vasku don't
_only_ make deals with humans...

UNSC subfleet:
BDN Sea: UNS North Sea (1 standard fighter group, 2 AMTs)
CA River: UNS Amu Darya
CA River: UNS Orange
CE Bay: UNS Green Bay
DD Lake: UNS Mobutu Sese Seko
DD Lake: UNS Baikal
FF Hunter: UNS Vasiliy Zaitsev
FF Hunter: UNS Karamojo Bell

ESU subfleet:
CVA Konstantin: VKK Kuznetsov (3 interceptor, 3 attack fighter groups)
BDN Rostov: VKK Volgograd (1 standard fighter group)
CA Gorshkov: VKK Tashkent
SB Zinoviev: VKK Istomin
SB Zinoviev: VKK Krivoschyokov

NSL subfleet:
SDN von Tegetthoff: KRS Otto Schultze (1 interceptor group)
BB Maria von Burgund: KRS Eleonore von Portugal
BB Maria von Burgund: KRS Anna von Boehmen und Ungarn
CL(E) Kronprinz Wilhelm/A: KRS Kronprinz Falkenberg
DD Lutzow: KRS Lutzow

(The Lutzow is one of Dean Gundberg's designs, found at
http://www.star-ranger.com/Stuff/NSL.htm; UNSC are Derek's; Zinoviev is
the Lenov/S under a new name; everything else is FB standard.)

[OA: Since we had discussed Derek's UNSC design just before Roger posted

this report, there was no need for him to include those designs in the
report.]

Kra'Vak invasion force:
Attack Sliver Mother Ko'San: Ko'Kas (6 heavy fighter groups)
Ruler War Mountain Yu'Kas: Yuo'Das (1 heavy fighter group)
Attack Dark Ship Ko'Tek: Ko'Dol
Hunter Silent Ship Vo'Bok: Vo'Rok

Sa'Vasku "technical advisors":
Elder Leader Ship Vas'Sa'Rosh: Beorhte
Leader Ship Sla'Tha'Rosh: Gemaedde
Younger Broodship Thy'Sa'Teth: Gedwolene
Elder Strike Ship Shyy'Tha'Var: Holdlice
Strike Ship Var'Thee'Sha: Statholwonge
Strike Ship Var'Thee'Sha: Hrusan
Strike Ship Var'Thee'Sha: Druncmennen
Younger Strike Ship Var'Arr'Sha: Hygegalan

(And I'm sure _someone_ on this list will work out where I got the
Sa'Vasku names from; the other players thought they were suitably alien.
:-) All designs are FB standard.)

Each subfleet was run by a separate player, but initiative and firing
order were integrated.

Rules in use:

- cinematic movement
- Sa'Vasku fixes at [OA: link to GZG playtest archive removed]
- UF/AFP as in CVS (in theory with escorting, but it didn't happen)
- Scatterguns do d3 hits in PD mode

The logging was done by a kibitzing player, and I may copy his notes
inaccurately.

[OA: Here it would've been nice with a brief description of the initial
set-up and the manoeuvres of the first game turn, but Roger jumped
straight
to turn 2:]

Turn 2:
=======

(that being the first turn of fire)

The Zinovievs moved forward due to a communications failure on the
Allied side. Generally, the UNSC ships were to the fore, with NSL fairly
close behind them and ESU further back. K'V fighters launch but hang
back.

North Sea shoots Yuo'Das at 24/F with 2 PTs (4), a Volgograd (5) and 8
beam dice (2).

[OA: I have no idea why the Grasers are called "Volgograds"!]
[OA: IIRC the only beam batteries the North Sea had which could reach
out
to range 24 were B2-3s, making it unnecessary to specify which weapon
type
they were; but I would've preferred it to be explicitly stated - if
nothing
else to make the report easier to understand today, more than two years
and
several UNSC design revisions later...]

Beorhte shoots Amu Darya at 26/F with 2 stinger dice (0).

Orange shoots Yuo'Das at 24/F with 2 PTs (5) and a Volgograd (2) for
first threshold.

Yuo'Das shoots Istomin at 23/F with 2 K1s (1) to destroy it. Yuo'Das
shoots Orange at 22 with 2 K6s (12) and 2 K1s (0) for first threshold.

[OA: Obviously the Orange too was in the Yuo'Das's (F) arc, since the
K6s
could fire...]

Mobutu Sese Seko shoots Yuo'Das at 25/F with 2 PTs (0).

Ko'Dol shoots Karamojo Bell at 21/F with 3 K3s (6) and 1 K1 (2) to
destroy it.

Green Bay shoots Yuo'Das at 27/F with a PT (0).

Gemaedde shoots Krivoschyokov at 24/F with 3 stinger dice (3) to
destroy it. Gemaedde shoots Amu Darya at 25/F with a stinger die (0).

Tashkent shoots Yuo'Das at 36/FP with a beam die (1).

Ko'Kas shoots North Sea at 25/F with 4 K3s (0) and 4 K1s (1).

Amu Darya shoots Ko'Kas at 29/F with 2 PTs (0).

Holdlice shoots Orange at 33/F with 4 stinger dice (0).

Vo'Rok shoots Orange at 23/F with 2 K3s (0) and a K1 (0).

Statholwonge shoots Amu Darya at 30/F with 3 stinger dice (0).

Gedwolene shoots Amu Darya at 30/F with a stinger die (1).

Turn 3:
=======

The fleets move closer. The lighter Kra'Vak units move together to form
a more tempting target for the UNSC torpedoes. The UNSC player obliges
by launching both torpedoes. On the Sa'Vasku side of the board, lead
UNSC units interpenetrate the Sa'Vasku fleet. ESU fighters launch. K'V
fighters swarm Orange (while fully evading).

Yuo'Das shoots Otto Schultze at 20/F with 3 K6s (12) and 5 K1s (3).
Yuo'Das shoots torpedo #1 with 3 scatterguns (3). Yuo'Das shoots
torpedo #2 with 3 scatterguns (6). [See end notes.]

Anna von Boehmen und Ungarn shoots Ko'Kas at 24/F with 12 beam dice
(10) and a PT (0).

Ko'Kas shoots Otto Schultze at 21/F with 4 K3s and 4 K1s (8).

Otto Schultze shoots Ko'Kas at 21/F with 12 beam dice (8) for first
threshold.

Ko'Dol shoots Otto Schultze at 16/F with 3 K3s and 1 K1 (18) for first
threshold.

Vasiliy Zaitsev shoots Beorhte at 4(6)/F with two Kuznetsovs (2) and
two beam dice (1).

Beorhte shoots Vasiliy Zaitsev at 4/FP with a lance pod (4) and 2
stinger dice (2) to destroy it. Beorhte shoots Green Bay at 2/AS with 4
stinger dice (1).

Lutzow shoots Beorhte at 7(10)/F with 8 beam dice (6).

Gemaedde shoots Amu Darya at 4/FS with 9 stinger dice (5).

Amu Darya shoots Druncmennen at 2/F with a PT (0) and 3 graser dice
(7). Amu Darya shoots Gemaedde at 4(6)/FS with a PT (2), a graser (1),
4 beam dice (1) and 3 PDS (0).

Statholwonge shoots Mobutu Sese Seko at 8/F with a leech pod (0) and 10
stinger dice (10) to destroy it.

Volgograd shoots Beorhte at 8(12)/FS with 8 beam dice (3) for first
threshold. Volgograd shoots Ko'Kas at 12/FP with 5 beam dice for 14!

Holdlice shoots Green Bay at 4/F with 12 stinger dice (5) and a lance
pod (6) for first and second thresholds.

Green Bay shoots Gedwolene at 5(7)/F with a PT (4) and 5 beam dice (1).
Green Bay shoots Beorhte at 2/FS with 6 PDS (3).

Gedwolene shoots Green Bay at 5/FS with 4 stinger dice (2).

Tashkent shoots Beorhte at 9(13)/F with 1 beam die (0). Tashkent shoots
Ko'Kas at 13/FP with 3 beam dice (1).

Vo'Rok shoots Otto Schultze at 18/F with 2 K3s (2) and a K1 (0).

Eleonore von Portugal shoots Yuo'Das at 27/F with a PT (0) and 5 beam
dice (5).

Hrusan shoots Green Bay at 7/F with 12 stinger dice (11) to destroy it.

North Sea shoots Yuo'Das at 8/A (having coasted!) with 4 beam dice (2).
North Sea shoots Holdlice at 7(11)/FS with 2 PT (2) and 8 beam dice
(3). North Sea shoots Ko'Kas with 4 PDS (0).

Druncmennen shoots Amu Darya at 7/F with a lance pod (6) and 9 stinger
dice (7) for first and second threshold.

Kronprinz Falkenberg shoots Ko'Kas at 13/F with 2 beam dice (0).

Hygegalan shoots Amu Darya at 11/F with a leech pod (0) and 7 stinger
dice (4) to destroy it.

Baikal shoots Yuo'Das at 10/AS with 4 beam dice (6).

Orange shoots Holdlice at 15(18)/FS with a graser die (3) and a PT (6).
Orange shoots Beorhtes at 2 K'V fighter groups (no effect) and 3 PDS at
three more (one kills 2 fighters).

Kuznetsov shoots Ko'Kas at 24/F with 6 beam dice (6) for second
threshold. Volgograd shoots Yuo'Das at 24/FP with 6 beam dice (3).

Surviving Kra'Vak fighters do not enter Ro'Kah, shoot Orange with 34
dice (21) to destroy it.

Game called for lack of time.

Final states:
=============

North Sea: has lost 1 DP and fired both AMTs.
Baikal: undamaged.
Amu Darya, Orange, Green Bay, Mobutu Sese Seko, Vasiliy Zaitsev,
Karamojo Bell: destroyed.

Kuznetsov, Volgograd, Tashkent: undamaged. Full fighter strength
available.
Istomin, Krivoschyokov: destroyed.

Otto Schultze: lost all armour, 8 points from second threshold, lost
fighter bay, a B1 and the SM launcher.
Eleonore von Portugal, Anna von Boehmen und Ungarn, Kronprinz
Falkenberg, Lutzow: undamaged.

Ko'Kas: 15 points from third threshold, with 3 scatterguns, 3 fighter
bays, a K1, a K3 and the FTL drive damaged. All fighter groups are on 1
CEF; 2 casualties.
Yuo'Das: 1 point from second threshold, with a K6, a K1 and a scattergun
damaged and six scatterguns expended.
Ko'Dol and Vo'Rok: undamaged

Beorhte: 12 points from second threshold, all armour lost, with two FS
stingers, the FP pod launcher, and 2 spicules down.
Gemaedde: has taken 3 armour and 1 hull damage.
Gedwolene: has taken 3 armour and 2 hull damage.
Holdlice: lost all armour, 1 point from first threshold.
Statholwonge: undamaged, 1 biomass expended.
Hrusan: undamaged.
Druncmennen: has taken 4 armour and 3 hull damage.
Hygegalan: undamaged, 1 biomass expended.

At this point it seems fairly clear that the Alliance is not doing
well; the NSL and ESU are practically untouched, but the UNSC is
effectively not there any more. The aliens have taken significant damage
but haven't lost a ship.

Questions arising, and comments:
[OA: snipped due to non-disclosure agreement with GZG]

***
Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] A FT question asked by 1 of our Junior players today Next: Re: [GZG] Beta Playtest Rules