Prev: Re: [FT] Intact/Destroyed vs All Damaged [GZG] Beta Playtest Rules Next: Re: [GZG] Beta Playtest Rules

[GZG] Vector vs. Cinematic

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:17:41 -0400
Subject: [GZG] Vector vs. Cinematic

Let me post a minor amendment to what Mr. McCarthy wrote:

The consensus is, continues to be, and shows no sign of changing from
the decision to
maintain cinematic movement (hack spit hiss!) as the primary movement
system for FT.
Vector will remain an optional movement system I expect. To say no one
would advocate
vector as the primary system might be a bit of a stretch. Let us just
say, we are fewer in
number. ;)

Another note OO didn't post regarding playtests:

One thing that makes us like to see die rolls is this :

Plenty of times even in playtests on the test list, people have said
"well, I got my clock
cleaned, this is pretty powerful" and the real truth is their side had
statistically poor
dice and the other side had statistically good dice. Had both sides
rolled in a more
average fashion, the results might have been much more even. This also
goes to explaining
why it is good to play a scenario, change players, and play it back. It
gives two sets of
results and multiple executions tends to ameliorate or eliminate
conclusions drawn from
one (potentially skewed) set of die rolls. More rolls = more regression
to mean
behaviours. (Note however analysis of best and worst case situations is
also worthwhile...)

One other thing I like to see in games involving placed markers is this:

Do you allow or not allow measuring before placing (or as part of
placing) template
weapons? Do you force people to declare placement location and then
measure? Do you allow
measuring before firing? I have noticed that in games where placed
ordinance is used and
declaration precedes measurement, sometimes shots are invalidated (and
either removed or
moved to max range) as a consequence of poor estimation. If you can
pre-measure, this
eliminates this aspect. It has a small impact except for the fact that
one good SML or SM
salvo can really change the outcome of a battle....

Tom B

Prev: Re: [FT] Intact/Destroyed vs All Damaged [GZG] Beta Playtest Rules Next: Re: [GZG] Beta Playtest Rules