Prev: RE: [GZG] Stealth, ECM and FCS suggestion (long) Next: Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 17, 2005

Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 17, 2005

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:23:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 17, 2005

--- Claus Paludan <cpaludan@tiscali.dk> wrote:

> Oh - another thing. Please give some feedback on the scenario - it's
> our first real scenario for FT and we still need to get a feel for
> the different ships/weapons etc..

Maybe try a variant where the big ship finishes its repairs just before
the game starts (turn 0), and so is at full strength when the game
begins, but not moving or only moving very slowly.  Also try giving it
one or two escort(s).  Like Prinz Eugen with the Bismark.  Definately
include some escorts with ADFC when you try fighters or Salvo Missiles.

Another option would be for the set up to be just after UnRep, with the
big ship (and any escorts) at full capability but having to protect the
supply ship(s).  If you are using NPV, don't include the UnRep ship(s),
as they are just there to be protected.

Another possibility is to reverse the situation, with a big ship
running over a group of smaller ones.  Like HMS Bellerophon and the
Havenite half squadron from Weber's "Short Victorious War".

I noticed from the photos that you set up your ships on opposite edges
of the table like a napoleonic cavalry charge that turns into a general
melee.	Try the following:
Designate one table edge as the base edge.  This is course direction 6,
with the opposite edge direction 12.
Set up both sides in the corners of the base edge, all facing direction
12, and with a resonable speed, ~15-20.
The "attacker" can be facing 1 course direction towards the enemy
(either 11 or 1).
Allow the table to "scrool" or "float".
The defender's goal cna be either to destroy the attacker or to get
ships off of the opposite table edge, but remember that the edge will
move too.
This represents one force going somewhere (planet, base, fleeing) and
another force intercepting them by closing in on a similar course.
Option: The defender sets up between 2/3 and 3/4 of the table edge from
the attacker and starts facing 1 direction away from the attacker
(either 1 or 11).

You did not mention in your posts whether you are using the cinematic
or the vector movement rules.  I assume that you are using 1 mu = 1 cm.

> We haven't used many rules and last night was the first time we tried
> damage control parties.. next time we might try a few fighters to see
> how they work out :)

Fighters, and to a lesser extent salvo missiles have a very fine line
in FT:	either there are not enough and they get swatted quickly or
there are too many and they swamp each ship in turn.

Prev: RE: [GZG] Stealth, ECM and FCS suggestion (long) Next: Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 17, 2005