Prev: [GZG] Re: How do you like your starships..? Next: Re: [GZG] Re: How do you like your starships..?

Re: [GZG] Re: How d'you like your starships,

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:25:25 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: How d'you like your starships,

Vince wrote:

> >>I rather liked the NI and JPN ships when they came out, but I don't
care
> >>for the ESU ships having the same sort of "multi level" structure as
the
> >>JPN ships.	Too radical a change from the old designs for my taste.
> >
> >That's a bit surprising, since the ESU used this kind of
"multi-level"
> >structure long before the NI and IJN did [snip]
>
>Not nearly as dramatic as the IJN ships are.

Bingo. The new ESU ships have the same sort of "multi-level" structure
as
the most modern of the *old* ESU ships, which means that they are
considerably LESS "multi-level" than the IJN ships... but the ESU were
nevertheless *first* with the "layered" ship design concept. If anyone
copied someone else, it was the IJN who copied the ESU - not the other
way
around. (The NI only have one single ship with horisontal "multi-layers"
-
the Kinneret-class light carrier.)

(BTW Vince, you do realise that you're saying almost exactly the
opposite
to what Grant said in the post I replied to above, don't you? Grant
claimed
that the new ESU ships have "the same sort of multi-level structure as
the
IJN", whereas you're saying that the new ESU ships *don't* have the same

sort of multi-level structure as the IJN... :-/  )

>If you look them over, IJN DDs are eve leveled, where the ESU doest.
ESU
>doesnt do anythign liek that util BC size, and then it aint really
level
>layered more jsut stacked over...

Er... I interpret this as:

"If you look them over, IJN DDs are even leveled, where the ESU doesn't
do
anything like that until BC size, and then it ain't really level layered

more just stacked over..."

Hope I got it reasonably right :-/

My reply:

Even IJN *corvettes* are somewhat "multi-level", and their FFs noticably
so...

The reason why the *new* ESU ships don't start "layering" until BC size
is
most likely that the *old* ESU ships don't start "layering" until that
size.

The reason why the *old* ESU don't start layering until BC size is that
the
old ESU range is an utter mish-mash of *six* distinctly different design

styles, at least four of which could have been expanded into an entire
fleet of its own without causing any distinction problems whatsoever:
- Lenov all by itself
- Nanuchka II/Novgorod,
- Warsaw/Volga/Tibet/Voroshilev (with the Gorshkov a distant relative
and
the original Nanuchka-class corvettes as a now-retired cousin),
- Beijing all by itself, Manchuria/Petrograd/Rostov/Tsiolkovsky, and
- Komarov/Konstantin.

What has happened now is that Jon built all the new ESU ships in *one
single* design style, derived from the most modern of the six old styles

(ie. the Manchuria series) - just like nearly all of the other GZGverse
star navies stick to one single design style. (OK, the FSE have two -
the
"built from plastic-kit sprue" style (Mistral to Hydra), and the "wedge
style" (San Miguel to Jeanne d'Arc)...)

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: [GZG] Re: How do you like your starships..? Next: Re: [GZG] Re: How do you like your starships..?