Prev: [GZG] Re: How d'you like your starships, fried or boiled..? Next: [GZG] Re: How d'you like your starships,

[GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 43

From: Fred Kiesche <godel2escher2bach@y...>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:30:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 43

Greetings:

"Very few games really capture this inability to
correctly identify the target."

IIRC, there were two games (board games, with very
strong miniatures overtones) that attempted this, but
its been a number of years, so the brain is fuzzy.

Avalon Hill had "Patton's Best", a solo board game of
WWII tank combat. You had to make decisions (hatches
open, hatches closed, etc.) that would modify your
ability to spot.

"Open Fire" was from 3W (I think). It was inspired by
"Patton's Best" or written "in response to" (or so
said Chris Klug, the designer. I got acquainted with
Chris as he lived in NJ for a while and did work on
another favorite of mine--SPI's Universe.)

Similar decision cycle on open/closed hatches, etc.

GDW's "Command Decision" series had spotting rules,
but I don't recall if they included AFVID or just
being able to find hidden "stands" (vehicle or
personnel).

We did do some home-grown spotting stuff for CD. For
example, we noticed how during WWII "green" troops
reported every German tank as a Tiger, etc. So I would
allow the German player to substitute Tigers for
whatever he had, the Allied player to substitute
heavier tanks for lighter tanks depending on the
opposing troop quality.

When combat was joined and your "tiny" AT gun went
through that (alleged) Tiger's hull, then your troops
perception caught up with reality and we swapped the
Tigers (or whatever) for the real vehicles.

Made for some interesting gaming sessions.

Fred Kiesche (FPK3)

My books are water; those of great geniuses are wine. Everybody drinks
water. (Mark Twain, "Notebook")

Science, science fiction and more. See The Eternal Golden Braid.
(http://theeternalgoldenbraid.blogspot.com/)

Prev: [GZG] Re: How d'you like your starships, fried or boiled..? Next: [GZG] Re: How d'you like your starships,