Prev: Re: [OT] Chris was Re: Req for examples Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] GZG SUMMER SALE OFFERS! Next: [GZG] Resources

Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:50:23 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

Allan Goodall wrote:

 >Oerjan, can you recommend any (non-classified) resources for use lay
 >people to read about current military technology -- and, if possible,
 >the advances in tactics for using them? Online resources would be
 >wonderful, but books or periodicals would work, too.

I can't recommend any "one-stop shop" resource that'll give it all to
you
quickly. Books discussing military hardware and tactics are usually too
far
behind - by the time there's enough unclass info on real hardware and
tactics that an author can write a coherent book about it, the info is
usually obsolecent already... There are some interesting books which
attempt to project trends into the future, but they tend to become
inaccurate rather quickly when the trends don't develop in the direction

predicted. (Reading such books 5-10 years after they were published can
be
quite amusing <g>)

Magazines are more up-to-date, but you have to piece the whole picture
together from lots of little pieces. The various Jane's publications are

full of gossip on the latest hardware developments and general trends;
but  they are very light on tactics, and unless your local library has
them
they can be difficult to get hold of unless you have a lot of money to
spare.

Military magazines like Armor Magazine
(<http://www.knox.army.mil/center/ocoa/ArmorMag/index.htm>) and Military

Review (<http://www.leavenworth.army.mil/milrev/English/index.htm>) have

quite a lot of tactics discussions, though for some reason their free
on-line archives tend to lag behind the printed versions <g>

If you have plenty of time and a good net connection, you can find lots
of
unclassified military Field Manuals on-line. The US Army ones can be
found
eg. at <https://134.11.61.26/CD6/Publications/DA/FM/ByPub.htm> (as well
as
in several other places). Unfortunately the manuals don't give any hard
data on the capabilities of the latest equipment, and it can also be
hard
to figure out in which of the FMs you'll find what you're looking for -
particularly if you don't already know what it is that	you *are*
looking
for <g>

Then there's the rest of the 'net... where you can find all the latest
rumours, and also a lot of hard facts - the only problem is to figure
out
which is which! Here the best bet is to join a good military-topic
discussion forum, and figure out which members know what they're talking

about and which you should ignore.

My favourite forum for land warfare is TankNet (<www.tank-net.org>),
where
many of the members are ex- or serving soldiers from all around the
world
(including a bunch who currently are or recently have been in Iraq; some
of
them kept up running commentaries during their deployment there)... a
bit
like this mailing list, but with a larger proportion of soldiers. As
always
you won't get the whole picture in a single sitting, but at least you
don't
have to wade through too much false data or massive Field Manual tomes
<g>

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [OT] Chris was Re: Req for examples Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] GZG SUMMER SALE OFFERS! Next: [GZG] Resources