Prev: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike Next: Re: [GZG] Re: High Guard

Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:30:08 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

At 3:16 PM +0200 7/31/05, John Atkinson wrote:

>Seriously revamp capacity costs for ADS.  I mean, you can put six
>Surface Launcher AMRAAMs on a HMMWV.  You also need another vehicle
>for the radar and another for the fire control center, but each radar
>and FC center can handle a half-dozen launcher vehicles.

How about the Missile Air Defense system I
proposed a while back? Admittedly I never
playtested it, so I don't know if the numbers
work out balance wise...
http://www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/minis/ds2/dsnw.html

There are several systems in modern use that
engage aircraft on a tactical scale of the
battle. Not to be confused with theatre air
defense systems that reach 20+ miles like
Patriot, SM2 or SA-6, these systems are employed
closer to the FEBA (Forward Edge of Battle Area).
Think of a mobile Hawk System, Rapier or SA-6 for
the modern equivalent of a MAD.

Missile Air Defense Systems (MADS) work similar
to the local air defense systems. In that they
engage any VTOL or aerospace fighter that comes
within their range. They are not however
effective at firing at smaller targets like
GMSH's.

MADS of course have a much longer range, 120" if
you play on really big tables and want a finite
range, otherwise assume the table top.
Effectively they can engage any aircraft that
enters the area of the table that isn't down in
the "weeds". VTOL's in low mode are not valid
targets.

A MADS takes quite a bit of room. They require a
search radar, tracking/guidance radar emitters
and the missiles themselves. They are thus bulky
and require multiple units to move around. A MADS
system may be divided among multiple vehicles.
One vehicle will carry the search radar set
another can carry the missile launchers/guidance
set. Multiple Launcher units may be slaved off of
a single Search Radar.

MADS combat works very much like ADS. Follow the
rules for the ADS as far as all questions of
resolving the activation as for the reaction roll
of the aircraft in question and the opposed die
rolls.

Each MADS Sensor element may support a finite
number of MADS Launcher elements in a given
engagement.  Basic Sensor elements may support
two Launcher elements, Enhanced may support
three, Superior may support four. A MADS unit may
make as many engagements per turn as long as its
sensors are still operating. Only one Sensor
element may be active for a given set of Launcher
elements. If it is destroyed by ARM fire, the
MADS unit may switch over to an alternate Sensor
element if available.

Each MADS Launcher element may launch one
missile. When resolving an engagement between a
MADS unit and a group of aircraft, place one
missile counter per MADS launcher available.

Aerospace craft and VTOLS may carry a PDS (at
normal costs) like a normal vehicle for defense
against a MADS. They are essentially active
counter-measures like flares, chaff, decoys and
similar systems used by aircraft. ECM works as
well as a counter measure.

A MADS's search and tracking radars emit
radiation just like an ADS. Thus each elements'
signatures are effectively 1 larger and
Stealth/ECM systems are ineffective. The sensors
may, however, be "turned off/on" during an
opportunity fire activation as a response to an
ARM being fired at it or an aircraft making a
move. The "off/on" activation may only occur once
per turn and counts as the unit's activation.
Once off, the sensors may not be turned back on
until the next turn and vice versa. The MADS unit
may turn on its sensors as a normal activation
and engage aircraft normally from then out. Note
that a MADS unit may still be targeted by an ARM
(Anti Radiation Missile) when shut down as a
response to an ARM fire, it is just much harder
to hit (see below under the section regarding
ARMs).

A MADS unit (The Sensor element and the
associated Launchers) may not fire on the move.
The collective unit may move _or_ fire, not both.
Generally these systems need to fire from a
steady location and need to be at least halted in
order to work reliably, if not set up in a dug-in
emplacement.

An example combat would work like this:  An
Enhanced MADS unit is deployed in the rear area
of the battle, it has one Sensor element and two
Launcher elements. The opposing player activates
a pair of aerospace fighters. The MADS system
detects the aircraft as they enter the board and
the aerospace fighters roll their reaction test
to continue the attack. If they continue the
attack then the MADS system may launch one
missile per Launcher element. Thus the MADS unit
launches two missiles at the intruding aircraft.
An opposed die roll is made between the targeted
aircraft's ECM die and PDS die vs the MADS's die.
If the aircraft survive then they may continue
their attack as normal. Most likely they will
plaster the MADS system with DFO.

The units involved in the MADS battery may be up
to 6" of each other when emplaced, otherwise the
must be within 2" when under normal movement.

Damage Vality:
MADS work just like regular ADS's as far as damage validity.

Range:
MADS have the range of the entire table (120" for big tables)

Points Cost: (no mixing of types)
Basic MADS Sensor: 200 and 5 VSP
Enhanced MADS Sensor: 300 and 10 VSP
Superior MADS Sensor: 400 and 15 VSP
Basic MADS Launcher: 200 and 5 VSP
Enhanced MADS Launcher: 300 and 5 VSP
Superior MADS Launcher: 400 and 15 VSP

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me.
       But I do work there and still like the company.
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)

Prev: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike Next: Re: [GZG] Re: High Guard