Prev: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike Next: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:22:14 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

On 7/31/05, Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@telia.com> wrote:

> IIRC the Taifun uses a HEAT warhead which needs to be extremely close

> than as GMS/(H or bigger), you prevent all three of them from having
any
> effect at all during its attack (ADS could shoot it down *before*
> attacking, but not *while* attacking). Was this intentional?

I don't think reactive armor will have quite the same effect on a 20kg
warhead as on a smaller warhead.

Besides which, if I were redesigning DSIII I'd ditch reactive armor
all together.  Given the percentage of modern first-line ATGM systems
with dual warheads and/or top attack capabilities, I don't see that as
still being viable in a couple centuries.

I could see letting PDS shoot it down, though.	How about we cost the
warhead as a Heavy MAK round, but resolve effects as a larger GMS/H?

> The purely tactical ADS systems normally present on the DS2 table have
> pitifully short weapon ranges compared even to today's equally purely
> tactical SPAAGs, and even less compared to today's MANPADS and
> vehicle-mounted SAMs.

Yeah, I know.  I already wrote a list of things I think need to be
done to revamp the Air Defense system in DSIII.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike Next: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike