Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Cold Navy miniatures. Next: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:52:50 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

John Atkinson wrote:

>I recommend it for anyone interested in modern or post-modern warfare.
>  I have some problems with it, but first the purely game mechanical
>question:
>
>Taifun:
>Size 1
>Armor 0
>FGP
>VTOL
>1xHeavy Artillery Payload
>Point Cost: 68
>
>Predator, Armed
>Size 1
>Armor 0
>FGP
>Aerospace
>GMS/H/Sup
>Point Cost: 113
>
>The Taifun (in service with German Army next year) is a UAV with a
>20kg shaped charge warhead so that it can turn itself into a Kamikaze
>for an appropriately high-value target.  I chose a heavy artillery
>payload as the closest approximation of this under DSII rules.  More
>accurately, rule that when the UAV hits the effects of a MAK Heavy
>Artillery warhead is applied to the target vehicle only.

IIRC the Taifun uses a HEAT warhead which needs to be extremely close to

the target to have much effect (within a few meters), rather than the
100+
meters of today's MAK-style artillery (SADARM, BONUS etc.). If I'm
correct
about that the target's PDS, ADS and Reactive Armour should all have
some
effect against it during its attack run. By classifying it as MAK rather

than as GMS/(H or bigger), you prevent all three of them from having any

effect at all during its attack (ADS could shoot it down *before*
attacking, but not *while* attacking). Was this intentional?

>The Predator we are all familliar with.  And with GMS/H it outranges
>the purely tactical ADS systems normally present on the DSII table.
>
>Thoughts?

The purely tactical ADS systems normally present on the DS2 table have
pitifully short weapon ranges compared even to today's equally purely
tactical SPAAGs, and even less compared to today's MANPADS and
vehicle-mounted SAMs.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Cold Navy miniatures. Next: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike