Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet-wide ADFC (Was: FB3 ships, was Re: Official Japanese ships??) Next: RE: RE:[OT] Sheep in the news...

Re: move and fire problem

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:09:05 -0400
Subject: Re: move and fire problem

Adrian said:
>Does anyone know how to incorporate "interrupted movement" into FT
without destroying the "simple" process that is FT.

I don't think there's a good way to solve the "interrupted movement"
problem, but when has that ever stopped me from talking?

Several approaches would be reasonably simple although not necessarily
satisfactory:

a.  You could say "He was in my F arc when I started, he's in my A arc
now, so I fire at half effect" or some such.  Realistically you'd have
been firing all the way in, some of it as soon as you pulled into
range at 36mu, some of it at point blank, so you wouldn't get as much
effect as if you'd spent the entire turn at nose-to-nose.  Someone who
is more interested in this approach than I am could no doubt figure
out how to account for how much time was spent with the target in
which arc at what range.

b. Enforce a speed limit, either direct (the aetheric propellers
create too much turbulence in the luminiferous medium when at a speed
of more than 12mu, old boy) or indirect (you only have fuel for a
total of 40mu of vector changes).

c. Say that the gameturn is only a few seconds long, and they just
didn't get a shot off.