Prev: Re: RE:[OT] Sheep in the news... Next: Re: move and fire problem

Re: [FT] Fleet-wide ADFC (Was: FB3 ships, was Re: Official Japanese ships??)

From: Alan & Carmel Brain <aebrain@w...>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:18:24 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Fleet-wide ADFC (Was: FB3 ships, was Re: Official Japanese ships??)

damosan@comcast.net wrote:
>>I haven't been playing FT long, so maybe this is a silly question, but
why
>>WOULDN'T you fit ADFC to any vessel mounting PDS? OK, I know there's a
>>mass/point cost, but I think the ability of all ships in a squadron to
>>cooperate in area defence is worth it. The FB designs only seem to
give ADFC
>>to "escorts" though, so maybe I'm missing something.
>>

> National doctrine and historical opponents would determine deployment
of ADFC equipment.  But as you imply the ADFC should be standard kit for
any fleet.  I have a SSD somewhere which sports a limited assortment of
B1s, a load of PDS, and an ADFC.  I've never used it on the table but no
fleet should be without some type of AEGIS like ship in the aresenal.

Also there's a learning curve. See the proliferation of light AA gear on

   allied ships in WW II.  A battleship with maybe 12 HMGs in 1942 might

have 200 in 1945.

If the KV start using carriers in profusion, expect refits of all major
vessels to delete 2 mass of armour, or a B2/3, or something like that
and install an ADFC instead.

--
Alan & Carmel Brain
http://aebrain.blogspot.com

Prev: Re: RE:[OT] Sheep in the news... Next: Re: move and fire problem