Prev: Re: Fire Control lock-on musings Next: Re: SaVasku Comment ( was Re: Fire Control lock-on)

Re: Fire Control lock-on musings

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:41:24 +0100
Subject: Re: Fire Control lock-on musings

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 18:20, Oerjan Ariander wrote:
> Samuel Penn wrote:
> > >And anyway, why should more FCS improve your odds of locking onto
the
> > > same target?
> >
> >The way I see it, is that FCS represent sensors. If you have more
> >FCS, then you have bigger and better sensors.
>
> You have *more* sensors, or more computer power, allowing you to track
> larger number of targets simultaneously... but why would they be
*better*
> at targetting one single target?

FCS could be considered to give:
   1) Bigger sensor dish, providing better resolution.
   2) More power to pump into active sensors.
   3) More computing power to make sense of the results.

There's currently no real way to model a ship which is basically
a flying sensors platform. Allowing lots of FCS sort of allows
this (the MT 'enhanced sensors' aren't really enough since they
are at most only a few mass) so I look at it as a top down rather
than bottom up answer.

I've been toying with each doubling of the number of FCS gives a
bonus, so you really need a big dedicated ship if you want a big
bonus to fire control.

To get the best resolution, you're better off combining sensor
information from multiple ships, since that gives a big baseline
(far bigger than you can fit on a single ship) but I'm not sure
how that could work in FT.

I like the idea of having a couple of ELINT vessels which can
pass targetting info onto the rest of the fleet - it gives the
enemy something to aim at. But then, I also like the idea of C&C
vessels (something like the Z9M9Z I guess) which can process all the
sensor info and give tactical bonuses to the rest of the fleet
(either targetting or initiative for example) and provide yet
another big target.

--
Sam.					  http://www.glendale.org.uk/

Prev: Re: Fire Control lock-on musings Next: Re: SaVasku Comment ( was Re: Fire Control lock-on)