Prev: RE: Fire Control lock-on Next: RE: Fire Control lock-on

Re: Range Band Adjustments (was RE: Fire Control lock-on)

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:13:21 +0100
Subject: Re: Range Band Adjustments (was RE: Fire Control lock-on)

On Saturday 25 June 2005 01:15, Laserlight wrote:
> Why not just say "stealth 1 adds six inches to all ranges"? Well, a
> lot of people feel that stealth ought to be more effective at long
> range than it is close up, and the straight addition version, while
> admittedly simpler, doesn't give  that effect.

I put a cap of a factor of two change to the range, so at most you
can double the range or halve the range with stealth, ECM, fire
controls and the like.

This 'sort of' has the effect that stealth can't make that big a
difference at short ranges (a ship 4" away can't have an effective
range of more than 8", even with +12" of stealth).

Changing the band does do this effect better, but it's still somewhat
granular if you're changing the 6" band - what happens when you have
more than 5" of stealth+ELINT effects?

You might have 4" bonus from stealth, 4" of ECM up yourself, a
blanket 2" ECM bonus protecting your fleet from one ELINT vessel
and another ELINT vessel jamming your attacker with another 6"
giving a total +16" range modifier.

How would you stack from lots of sources if modifying the band?
You run into the same problem if basing it on a d6 roll. Either
things don't stack (not as interesting IMO), everything is
restricted to about 1" modifier, or you need some mathematical
operation to make it all fit.

--
Sam.					  http://www.glendale.org.uk/

Prev: RE: Fire Control lock-on Next: RE: Fire Control lock-on