Prev: Re: CNN.com - Report: Air Force seeks Bush nod for space weapons - May 18, 2005 Next: Re: CNN.com - Report: Air Force seeks Bush nod for space weapons - May 18, 2005

Re: [FT] Weapons Cost for firing every other turn

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 17:44:03 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] Weapons Cost for firing every other turn

Laserlight wrote:

 >How much of a cost reduction, if any, would be right for weapons which
fire
 >every other turn, instead of every turn?  I'm thinking of Grasers but
could
 >extend it to other weapons.

~2/3 of the original weapon. (Not just half as might be expected, since
the
weapon still gets to fire on the first turn of combat.)

 >And if you put two weapons in a turret, so you have to fire them at
the
 >same target and lose them both in the same threshold, how does that
affect
 >them?

As Grant says, it depends on exactly how you make the threshold check -
but also on how you handle repairs of a damaged turret:

 >There are (at least) three ways to do it:
 >a. roll once, a failure kills everything

If a single successful DCP roll is sufficient to get everything back
into
operation again, the turret would have the same Mass as the two separate

weapons.

If you need separate DCP rolls for each damaged weapon in the turret, it
is
worth less.

 >b. roll for each weapon, any failure kills everything

Depends on the number of weapons in the turret as well as on the number
of
hull rows;
eg. a two-weapon turret in a 4-row hull would be worth barely half as
much
as two
separate systems due to the much higher risk of suffering a threshold
failure.

 >c. roll for each weapon, when one fails, the remainder check at one
level
 >worse -- eg you're taking your level one check, you roll a 1 for the
first
 >weapon, now you lose any further weapons on a 1 or 2
 >
 >What I had in mind was (a) but (c) might be interesting too

(c) looks rather complex to me :-(

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com