Prev: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Limiting number of fighters per target - was RE: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

Re: Limiting number of fighters per target - was RE: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 00:34:52 -0700
Subject: Re: Limiting number of fighters per target - was RE: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

So let's look over the possibilities of this plan.

If ECM is a fixed mass, then a large enough ship can make itself
invulnerable to fighters (if there is no ECCM or advanced sensors)
simply by
stocking a high enough ECM power and enough PDS to shred whatever fits
under
the limit.  Even if it's scaled to the size of the ship, this just makes
it
a matter of expense.  We probably would have to make it relatively
inexpensive, or else the whole paper-rock-scissors bit gets uglier,
because
if it's scaled to any significant amount of the ship's mass, then the
gap
between anti-fighter ECM packing ships and enemies that simply pack
direct-fire weapons will get that much more gross, which ultimately
leads us
to the same mess we have now, where you take a wild guess whether or not

your opponent is carrying fighters or not in blind one-off games.  If
ECM is
expensive enough that the penalty for guessing wrong is large, then this
is
not an improvement.  However, if it's inexpensive enough we're
essentially
rendering fighter-based fleets that don't carry a countermeasure
useless.

Conversely, if advanced sensors or ECCM is in the game with it, then
what
kind of idiot is going to pack fighters and/or missiles without also
packing
advanced sensors or ECCM?  Unless you're trying to simulate different
technology levels by doing this, there's very little point to not
bringing
it for a competitive game.  If you're after a scenario design, then
sure,
it'll be fine, except that the game as it stands now works just fine for

someone who wants to build a pre-set scenario.	Similarly, you'd
probably
have to make ECCM similarly inexpensive, or at least not much more
expensive
than ECM, so that you don't balance things in favor of either side.
Depending on how well the ECCM works versus the ECM, you have one of two

outcomes if both players hedge their bets:  either it's random as to who

gets the upper hand, or it becomes pointless as each cancels out the
other
and you're back to square one.

Perhaps this is an oversimplified analysis, and I -can- see perhaps
-some-
element of ECM that could come with it.  The problem will be making it
actually have a point to the game without being so complex that Full
Thrust's simple, generic nature is preserved.  I don't know that I see a
way
to do it, and limiting the number of fighters that can attack an
ECM-protected ship without ECCM of its own basically just forces people
carry more gadgets on a ship in order to get the same results we've
already
got now.

Eric/Stilt