Prev: Re: Fighters was -RE: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Massed Fighter issue.....

Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:10:23 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

Ok, fair enough.  But is that necessarily a Bad Thing (tm)?

So, one thing that I would do, had I both time and energy ( ;) ) would
be
to compare that statement with popular sci fi.	No one attacked the Star

Destroyers in Star Wars with *fighters*.  They kind of went after each
other, and were a nuisance, but there was no evidence that the fighters
were a threat to the SD.  Now, OTOH, in Battlestar Galactica, the
fighers
are a threat.  But how large of a capitol ship is a Battlestar, or Cylon

carrier?  And how loaded are they with PDS?  In Star Blazers fighters
were
a threat, but I'd have to wonder if the Yamato was a *large* capitol
ship,
or maybe a FT equivalent of a CR.

I'll grant that having 6 PDS could easily make a ship invulerable to
fighters.  I'll only stipulate that if that is *appropriate to the FT
unvierse*, then it a) does solve the problem of fighters being worth too

much, and b) works within the confines of the system.

<shrug>

John K. Lerchey
Computer and Network Security Coordinator
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University