Prev: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

Re: Fighters was -RE: Full Thrust vs Starmada

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:05:46 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Fighters was -RE: Full Thrust vs Starmada

> The problem here is you've just PSB'd an artificial limit.  You could
just as easily say that fighter squadrons are only 2 or  4 fighters
rather an 6 and achieve the same result (i.e. if a squadron is 2
fighters, then a PDS could completely eliminate a squadron in a single
turn, rather than requiring 3 PDS's).

    Sure, but *any* point system is going to impose *some* artificial
limit.
  Why do pds shoot down the same number of fighters per turn if 12 are
  attacking versus if 48 are attacking?  This would at least have the
virtue of
  being a simple rule change that preserves the effectiveness of current
ship
  designs and still allows fighters to be useful.

> The basic system needs revision as it seems very odd that a PDS system
that can knock down up to 6 high-velocity missiles, can only take out
1-2 fighters.  The quick solution is to allow PDS to kill 1-6 fighters.
Fighters will then have to resort to torpedoes or missiles and fire from
stand-off range or become "kamikaze-like" and close into PDS range to
inflict damage.  Also allow PDS a range of 6" and not limit it to
targets attacking the ship, but any valid target within 6".  This will
allow ships to support each other, at the expense of being vulnerable to
area weapons/missiles.

> --Binhan

    I'm not sure I understand the missile to fighter comparison.  PDS
attack
  fighters and missiles identically.

  grant

Prev: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada