Prev: Fighters was -RE: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:49:48 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

Hm.  Grants post leads me to a question.  OO will certainly know if this

has been attempted, or if it would even work, but here goes.

So, part of the problem as I've been reading it is that a large number
of
fighter groups can overwhelm the PDS and take out even a fairly powerful

ship.  So, what if each fighter group was engaged by EACH PDS on the
ship,
and each attacked individually?  Yes, this puts some extra strain on
fighter groups attacking larger vessels, but so what?  I haven't looked
at
the PDS rules in a while, and my book is at home.  But if the PDS does
*damage* to the fighter group, as opposed to "score a hit, kill the
group", then each pass of PDS will reduce the fighter group
(potentially),
and only on ships with LOTs of PDS, will they have a good chance at
eliminating each entire group as they come in.	And if you do it
serially...

fighter group A attacks, PDS attempts to take them out, remaining
fighters
hit the ship.
fighter group B attacks, PDS attempts to take them out, remaining
fighters
hit the ship.
repeat until all fighter groups are done...

... then the fighters (survivors) have a shot of doing some damage to
the
ships, and possibley forcing threshold checks and taking out the PDS,
leaving the ship a sitting duck.

?

John K. Lerchey
Computer and Network Security Coordinator
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Grant A. Ladue wrote:

>> Tom McCarthy wrote:
>>
>>> There have been suggestions that limit the number of fighters that
can
>>> attack a ship in a turn.  Number crunching suggest they ameliorate
the
>>> problem (even greatly), but some people don't feel they solve it.
>>
>> Show me the number crunching that suggest they ameliorate the problem
>> "greatly", or even at all. The only number crunching of this concept
I've