Prev: Re: [SG2} House Rules for Fire Team Units Next: Re: ... and [FT] Japanese Fleet

Re: [SG2} House Rules for Fire Team Units

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:40:54 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2} House Rules for Fire Team Units

The GZG Digest wrote on 4/11/2005 1:00 AM:

> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:42:42 +0200 From: John Atkinson
> <johnmatkinson@gmail.com>
>
> True, but that encourages people to run platoon as a collection of
> fireteams rather than as 3 squads.  That's bad doctrine and
> incredibly gamey.  Realistically, it causes work overload for your
> poor PL/PSG and so it should be penalized in the command rules, not
> rewarded.

The playtest house rules for fire teams are designed to make it much
less gamey.

There are rules to encourage the entire squad to stick together. Squad
leaders are heavily encouraged to stick near their fire teams.

A player is not prevented from having the platoon leader transfer an
action to a fire team, but it's far less efficient than transferring an
action to a squad leader. Not only do you get 1 platoon leader action
activating one fire team (whereas if he activated the SL he'd get to
activate 2 fire teams), but the "skipping a command level" rule kicks
in, making it less likely for a communication roll to succeed. This is
no different than the rules in regular SG2 for having a company
commander directly order about a squad.

Others have made comments that I would have added, so I won't repeat
them.

Allan

--

Allan Goodall	    http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@att.net    agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: [SG2} House Rules for Fire Team Units Next: Re: ... and [FT] Japanese Fleet