Prev: Firecon and Missiles Next: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

SG2tweaks...

From: Infojunky <infojunky@c...>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:39:27 +0100
Subject: SG2tweaks...

Allan Goodall wrote:

> I don't disagree, though in the far future you have to take GEV and
grav
> vehicles into account, too.

Yah know, sometimes they are easy to forget.

> DS2 doesn't handle vehicle-on-vehicle, it handles
> vehicle-platoon-on-vehicle-platoon. I wasn't clear when I replied to
> you, but later on I pointed out that I wanted the ability to do
> something like 10 tanks versus 10 tanks. That's too small a scale for
DS2.

Ok... I get it... Dense sometimes.

>>> It may be too drastic to have them roll 2D12 for combat movement.
>>> I'm still thinking about this. I think playtesting will shake out
>>> what might work best.
>>

>> You mean like Page 23?
>

> Yeah, like that.

I know the feeling.

> I was hoping to keep it simple, in keeping with the rules themselves.
As
> I mentioned earlier, perhaps giving a vehicle a minimum for their
combat
> move would suffice.

Cool that is kinda where I sit, the base rule are fine for a lot of
things, but the have some spots that really need help.

>> Now that could work. Maybe beyond Bugs don't Surf, Jon might want to
>> do a vehicle options book.
>

> Jon promised BDS when SG2 came out in 1996. So far the only work to be
> "published" for BDS are the Phalon beta test rules that I came up with
> (and which are on my site).

A link please....

> It's unlikely we'll see BDS before FMAS, so
> it's unlikely we'll get BDS before SG2's tenth anniversary. At this
> rate, you can probably start hoping for a vehicle book sometime in
2012.
> *grin*

Heh, yes I had noticed.

>> The eighties and nineties Navel Special Forces at Subic in the
>> Philippines and police patrol work in cities. The funny thing is
>> dealing with a drunken Admiral is a lot like dealing white trash at
>> closing time.... Funny how life hands you things.
>

> It really doesn't surprise me that a drunken Admiral is the same as a
> drunken anybody else. *L*

Yah but he should know better being a "Instramnet of Policy"

>>> I've seen a lot of games where combat takes place on what's
>>> essentially a salt flat with a few bushes and houses.
>>

>> Then why are the infantry there fighting?
>

> That's the point. Many players tend not to enough terrain on a board.

I have the opposite problem, I model terrain on 3inch hexes and the
temptation to put somethin on each and every hex is very great.

>> Yes, reread that section Small rapid fire cannow should get their
>> impact die not the general die.
>

> I'll have to do that, but my understanding is that _all_ heavy weapons
> do D8 impact on dispersed targets. Do you know, off hand, what page to
> check. I should have it in the index, but I suspect it's not there.
> (Time to work on the index, again?)

Looking at what I wrote... I reread that section. It indicates all HWpns
  use the D8. I say that the smal rapid fire cannons should use their
impact die not the D8. Is a fix not a written rule. My bad, too much
geography not enough gameing time.

>> From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
>>
>> If a vehicle doesn't move very fast in relation to infantry, it ought
>>  to be because the player says "I'm going to get shot up if I try
>> this", not because the rules say "a tank can't move faster than
>> 6mph--not even a grav tank in a hurry".
>

> That's exactly what I'd like to accomplish.

Yes.... Me too, bad habit of Playing DA.

> Unfortunately the type of battle that Jon is trying to simulate is
very
> much in the minority today, and probably in the future. It's fine for
> special ops games, or pure infantry games, but I simply prefer
something
> that could handle a more typical combat. As I've said in the past, you
> could take SG2 and with only a little bit of tweaking come out with a
> nifty Vietnam War game.

Ok I can agree with that.

> Also, I'd like to use the mechanics in SG2 for some tank-on-tank
> battles. Granted that _these_ aren't very typical, either, but they
are
> just as much a staple of sci-fi as infantry-only battles.

Maybe, that is it, I have a bad idea floating in the back of my head....
More laters.

>> That isn't to say adding rules is a bad thing - just that in the end
>> it seems to be making a 25mm scale sort-of-Dirtside, more than
>> anything else...

25mm.... Ick..... 15mm much better..... (I'm a scale fan.)

--
Evyn

"Scientia Est Potentia"

http://ceecom.net

Prev: Firecon and Missiles Next: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?