Prev: RE: Full Thrust Last Exile Next: RE: Full Thrust Last Exile

Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:28:52 -0600
Subject: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

The GZG Digest wrote on 3/26/2005 1:00 AM:

> Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:34:08 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@magma.ca>

> Striker II and FF&S are nice products, but they're not the fastest
playing. Stargrunt II
> and Dirtside II are both fast playing games.

*chortle* Sorry, Tom, but SG2 is not a particularly fast playing game.
This is one of my main beefs with the game. It's fast compared to
skirmish games with the same number of troops, but SG2's maneuver unit
is the squad, not the individual figure. I'm finding that it speeds up
somewhat with some of the house rules I've implemented, but as written
it's not a particularly fast paced game.

It is, however, faster paced than Striker...

> I myself find SG2 would be a good vehicle for traveller larger scale
(relative to the RPG,
> not the wargames) combat. DS2 could fill a slightly higher level role.
And when it
> eventually comes out, FMA could well be an alternative to BITS At
Close Quarters (which
> clearly owes at least some inspiration to Azhanti High Lightning or
Snapshot).

The one problem I have with your suggestion has to do with the vehicle
rules in SG2. To do Traveller justice you would have to implement
changes to SG2's vehicle system. I've made some progress in this area,
and it's not an easy change.

--

Allan Goodall	    http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@att.net    agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: RE: Full Thrust Last Exile Next: RE: Full Thrust Last Exile