Prev: RE: Fixing salvo missiles Next: Re: Fixing salvo missiles

RE: Fixing salvo missiles

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:41:20 -0600
Subject: RE: Fixing salvo missiles

***
The close second is the "1d6 missiles lock-on".  We feel that missiles
should be much smarter than this, and the vast majority of misses
should come from PDS or evasive defenses such as Stealth Hull or ECM.
I.e. if you have no PDS or advanced capabilities of stealth or ECM, you
should suffer 90%+ hits.  If I thought I wouldn't be laughed off the
List, I would have suggested 1+ or 2+ to-hit rolls against any target
in the attack radius.
***

Boy, did I get a wrong number!

Sorry I misunderstood your objections; I guess my 'bell curve'
suggestion
looked almost like an insult. I thought you were objecting to a) no
opportunity for all misses unless defended, and b) that possibilities of
hits were linear.

***
Problem is too many missiles go wandering off without acquiring a
target.
***

;->= I'd just figured that out, and was in the process of writing my
apology. I must say now that I put my foot in it, I prefer a non-linear
solution, but still prefer the single roll as opposed to a roll per
missle.

I have less of a problem with missles missing, though I guess I'd think
if
SOME had a chance, more would do so, all or nothing, so to speak. Hell,
from my readings of current space research, I'm surprised beams hit at
all.

However, I suppose I assume the SM's initially disperse randomly for
whatever PSB is necessary, and, as dispersed, would be more random as to
aquiring targets. Unfortunately, target's speed, manuvering, et al.,
probably should be considered, but would make figuring final roll
tortuous.

PSB in this case might be, however you may be speeding and twisting
along,
some missle is pointed in your general direction.

The_Beast

Prev: RE: Fixing salvo missiles Next: Re: Fixing salvo missiles