Prev: FOGRE Next: Re: [ECC] Faces and names

Re: IDF to begin using APFCs

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:49:28 +0100
Subject: Re: IDF to begin using APFCs

John Atkinson wrote:

<http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFul
l&cid=1110338402255>

FWIW I'd rate this as a PDS (stops ATGMs/GMSs) rather than an APFC
(intended to shred infantry in close assaults). (Yes, I *know* that
DS2's
"PDSs" are unable to stop IAVR/RPG rounds with flight characteristics
very
similar to those of ATMGs/GMSs is one of DS2's, but that's an error in
DS2
:-/ )

 From the article:

""Until recently, APS systems such as Trophy were considered science
fiction," said Eitan Yudilevich, corporate VP Marketing and Business
Development for RAFAEL."

Science fiction? The Soviets fielded their first APS (Drozhd) in the
early
1980s, and their ARENA system was found to be quite effective when the
Bundeswehr tested it some years ago... I'm curious about how the
Israelis
have handled the fratricide risk for nearby infantry, though.

 >Just 'coz I think y'all would be interested.

We are indeed! :-)

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: FOGRE Next: Re: [ECC] Faces and names