Prev: Re: [OT]Wither Canada? And Australias Abrahms Next: RE: [VV] Organics and other flavoring - RE: [VV] Vectorverse -- Ok so far?

Re: [semi-VV] Multiple resources - was RE: Game balance

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 10:18:41 +0100
Subject: Re: [semi-VV] Multiple resources - was RE: Game balance

Binhan Lin wrote:

>That is more of an issue of game play rather than a problem with
mechanics
>- for instance, if you have players who play Monopoly and lose every
time
>because they refuse to purchase any properties, it's not a problem with

>the rules, but a problem with how you play.

Very much so; and as long as *all* players play the game exactly in the
way
the designer who distributed the various resources intended, a "multiple

resource"-style game can work fine. Unfortunately there's almost
invariably
some players who *don't* play it that way.

Eg., your example where A and B trade with one another and thus get a
mutual benefit - *both* of them get cheap FTL drives and cheap beams -
has
a direct parallell in GW's "Blood Royale", where Italy and Spain usually

set up a highly lucrative trade (Italian Luxuries and Food for Spanish
Iron
and Semi-Luxuries) allowing them to cash in more money than the other
kingdoms can... money with which they can buy armies to protect their
resource-producing areas, and quite soon also go on the offensive. (OK,
technically the other three kingdoms could get a total of 130 gold per
turn
vs. Spain/Italy's 120, but the trade negotiations to pull that 130-gold
deal off are so hairy that I've never actually seen it happen... and if
it
*should* happen, either of Spain and Italy can stop it in its tracks by
invading Provence.)

>I don't think the game system should be auto-balancing, otherwise why
play?

It shouldn't be *completely* auto-balancing - ie., an advantage gained
shouldn't automatically be *completely* negated by the game mechanics -
but
if there are *no* mechanics to rein in the leader, you usually end up
with
a "campaign" which is decided by the first few battles. Such campaigns
tend
to be very short, since non-leading players usually drop out soon after
it
becomes obvious who'll win.

Regards,

Oerjan