Prev: Re: [VV] Gate Defense Next: Changing subjects Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

From: Warbeads@a...
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 06:09:06 EST
Subject: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

In a message dated 2/1/05 10:10:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
adrian@stargrunt.ca writes:

Hi folks,

Interesting discussion so far.	I've followed the  jump-gate-assault
part of
the thread quite closely, and it has got me  thinking about the kind of
game
I'd want to play.

I suggest that,  given the difficulties/challenges presented (on both
sides
of the	discussion), we should look at answering the question "what kind
of
game do  we want to play" (given that this is *not* a discussion about
creating a  setting purely for fiction, but as a basis for wargaming
also).

Personally, I have zero interest in a game that has  off-table-launched
massive missile strikes aiming at billion-tonne  fortresses though a
jump
gate.  Dull, dull, dull.  You fire a  hundred missiles through the gate,
now
I fire a hundred missiles back, I  roll a hundred dice, ok, now you roll
hundred dice...   Bleh.

So, what kind of game do people want to play?  We can work  backwards
from
that to decide on how FTL will work, and that will drive the  PSB.

Two points -

1) we have a  discussion mixing playing the game and designing	the
game.
What's the scientific word for two liquids that don't mix?  {grin}

2) we have a discussion that mixes game mechanics and 'simulation'
elements
for a world where a) we have not defined the 'reality' (critical for
design
issues of the game) and b) we have no 'real world' sanity checks because
well, it's science FICTION.

Gracias,

Glenn  "warbeads"

Prev: Re: [VV] Gate Defense Next: Changing subjects Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL