Prev: Re: [VV] FTL technologies Next: Re: [OT] My personal life, was Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets

Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:06:21 -0500
Subject: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

Nyrath said
> If they [forts] are made stationary with respect to the Alderson
point,
> they will start falling into the primary star.  Gravity, you know.

<grin> if they're stationary, they aren't falling.

> If you put station-keeping engines on them, they are not
> forts any more, but are instead a species of warship.
> And they lose most of the advantages a fort with no engines
> has over a ship with engines.

I'd think that ship maneuver drives could take up quite a bit more
mass/volume than mere station-keeping ones, especially if your station
is way out on the shallows of the gravity well.  I believe Mote said
that civilian crews had no reason to go closer to Earth than Neptune
orbit, so the Alderson points must be farther out.  1G drive should be
more than plenty.