Prev: RE: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

RE: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:49:56 +1100
Subject: RE: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

As has been said, we don't want any "pre-cursor" races to muddy the
waters.

Taking on board the last few comments, how about:

FTL
Tier 1: 10 LY/turn Hyperspace/Space Fold (10% Mass FTL) - Cannot arrive
within the gravity well of a star system.  There is a 1 turn "arrival
bleed"
that warns of impending arrival.  Minimum ship size of 100 mass.  This
will
generate battle-rider carriers.

Tier 2: 100 LY/turn Wormhole Accelerator Gate (5% Mass FTL + gate) -
Gates
cannot be placed within the gravity well of a planet.  Generates an
artificial wormhole between two (powered) gates.  The gates are not
locked
to each other, but only one outbound wormhole can be active by each
gate.
Has a limit of 500 mass per turn.  A gate averages 1000 mass.

Tier 3: 1000 LY/turn Natural Wormhole (0% Mass FTL) - Found anywhere,
but
cannot adjust the arrival point.  1000 mass limit per turn.  Some are
one
way, but the majority work both ways.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each method of travel in a
strategic sense.  If you want a decent battlefleet to arrive, you need
send your heavy fleet via Hyperspace and throw your light forces through
the
Gate.  If there is a natural wormhole, all bets are off, but they will
be
heavily defended.

One trick of an invading force would be to transport a disassembled Gate
near the target system, assemble it and then accelerate it at sublight
speed
into the system.  When in a advantageous spot, you start sending through
your assault fleet, as there won't be an arrival bleed, giving you a
sneak
attack.

Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies

IMPORTANT
1. Before opening any attachments, please check for viruses.
2. This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential
information
   for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
   please contact the sender and delete all copies of this email.
3. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and are
not
   a statement of Australian Government Policy unless otherwise stated.
4. Electronic addresses published in this email are not conspicuous
publications
   and DVA does not consent to the receipt of commercial electronic
messages.
emails

   of this type from DVA.
6. Finally, please do not remove this notice.

Prev: RE: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL