Prev: RE: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets Next: RE: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets

Re: Platoon Ldr and Sgt in SG2

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian@s...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 05:06:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Platoon Ldr and Sgt in SG2

>I was wondering if anyone had played around with Platoon Leaders and
>Platoon Sergeants in SG2 to replicate realistic platoon formations.

Tom Barclay wrote about this back at the end of 2001.  Take a peek his
articles at:

http://www.stargrunt.ca/rules/sg2_platoon_sergeants/sg2_platoon_sergeant
s.htm

and

http://www.stargrunt.ca/rules/sg2_leaders_as_individuals/sg2_leaders_as_
indi
viduals.htm

He suggests a modified version of the "2 and 1" method.

>I see that, according to this model, the Platoon Leader and the Platoon

>Sergeant are often physically separated from each other. They are
almost
>like two command squads for the same platoon. SG2, of course, has these

>two functions in one unit.

In "all infantry" games, I normally don't bother with this level of
detail.
 I figure that, as John Atkinson pointed out, there is usually only one
Platoon Leader and that person is giving the orders.  The Platoon
Sergeant
is implementing them, and the whole process is abstracted into the way
the
rules work as written.

I've used a version of this, however, when playing games with heavily
mechanized platoons.  I use vehicles as separate units, so if I put a
mech
platoon on the table, I can end up with 8 to 10 "units" within one
platoon
(for example - command squad, medics, 3 rifle squads, 4 vehicles = 9
units).  Having that many units under one platoon commander dilutes
their
command ability.  So, I tried playing it with the platoon sergeant
taking
command of the vehicles.  One of the vehicles will be designated as the
Platoon Sergeant's unit.  That unit gets its two actions per activation
as
normal, and can transfer ONE of the actions.  But, it can only transfer
an
action to reactivate the other vehicles - not to the rifle squads in the
platoon.  The platoon commander can transfer both actions as normal, and
everyone INCLUDING the vehicles.

This has worked just fine in the games I've used it.

-Adrian

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: RE: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets Next: RE: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets