Prev: Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets Next: RE: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets

Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets

From: "John K. Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:13:32 -0500
Subject: Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment, John.

So, don't forget that this is a sci-fi setting.  If you've read John
Ringo's Posleen series, the Posleen would get hit by a sniper with a .50

cal, and then every one of them in range with both gauss rifles and
guided
missiles would cut loose and tear into the target area.  Less that they
were targeting/tracking an individual, but they certainly were using
anti-vehicle GSMs to shoot at infantry with good effect.

>From there, it's not that much of a leap to consider smart homing
systems
with sufficient AI to target individual troopers based on thermal and/or

shape patterns.  Heck, even things like heartbeats (Star Trek sensors
were
able to locate one human on a Romulan ship! - ok, it's Truly Bad
Science,
but still...) or electromagnetic signatures.

I'm  not saying that it will be done, but it *could* be. :)

--On Tuesday, January 25, 2005 4:34 AM +0100 John Atkinson
<johnmatkinson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:03:46 +1100, Owen Glover <oglover@bigpond.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> Just throwing a little something extra in; the GMS/P is guided
therefore
>> you would be resolving the Guidance vs ECM, something like d8 or d10
vs
>> d4 rather than a Firepower roll n'est pas?
>
> But you're not resolving whether it hits a large target and if so, how
> solidly it hits.  You're resolving wether the blast tears up some
> bushes, or puts shrapnel into some soldiers near where it hit.  The
> guidance system won't track on individuals unless they change things
> drastically.	And since it would never be doctrine to shoot them at
> individuals, it won't change.  Might set up to track PA suits and you
> could resolve that with guidance vs ECM, but then it would be a direct
> hit on one person and the rest of the squad would be in little danger
> if they are properly dispersed.
>
> John
> --
> "Thousands of Sarmatians, Thousands of Franks, we've slain them again
> and again.  We're looking for thousands of Persians."
> --Vita Aureliani

John K. Lerchey
Computer and Network Security Coordinator
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

lerchey@andrew.cmu.edu

Prev: Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets Next: RE: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets