Prev: Multiple FCS Next: Re: BSG 2003 (Long)

Re: BSG 2003 (Long)

From: Rrok Anroll <coldnovemberrain_2000@y...>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:54:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: BSG 2003 (Long)

--- Samuel Penn <sam@bifrost.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Given that they mount FTL drives, they probably don't have much room
> for anything else.

Well I do see what you're saying... but I'd have to say that I'd think
that it probably would have been just as easy or believable to use some
form of energy weapon. I mean, power couplings, converters, etc, would
probably take about the same space as a .50 cal and it's ammo...
besides, with the little space that would be available, they wouldn't
be able to carry much ammo before having to return for arming....

> Actually, one thing I do like about the series is that it's not using
> laser guns just for the hell of it. Too much SF equips everything
> with
> laser guns because someone thought that SF should have laser guns,
> even if it's only set ~10 years in the future.

I will definitely grant you this one, using something other than lasers
is very cool. However, I will say that using high velocity penetrators
in space does require a little forethought... Afterall, when they were
working with supersonic flight, didn't they have an instance where a
plane or two shot themselves down, because they were moving faster than
the bullets? Wouldn't the same apply here? You'd think. Perhaps a scene
covering this would be appropriate... such as a tactics reference about
not being able to fire in high speeds or something.... or perhaps some
technical element about the actual ammunition used... perhaps the
rounds are actually hyper-kenetic in some fashion, ramjets or something.

=====
Remember, even light is shaped by the darkness that surrounds it, and
the true crafters are seldom ever seen. Welcome to the shadows kid.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Prev: Multiple FCS Next: Re: BSG 2003 (Long)