Prev: RE: hey all, just a quick question on area defense fire control.. ... Next: Re: hey all, just a quick question on area defense fire control.. ...

RE: hey all, just a quick question on area defense fire control.. ...

From: Thomas Westbrook <tom_westbrook@y...>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:56:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RE: hey all, just a quick question on area defense fire control.. ...

That's how we have interpreted it.  Each ADFC would cover a friendly
ship and therefore any target(s) attacking that ship.  You don't need an
ADFC to do point defense fire for you own ship.

Also, I've played where other players have used the "I'm not attacking/
not a threat, so you can't shoot at me with you PDS" scenario i.e. the
enemy fighters are within the 6 mu range and are cruising past.  The
ADFC would also allow the ship to shoot any anything it doesn't like,
maybe to include "friendly allied craft", regardless of intent.

Though others have pushed the envelope and used the "any ship . .  any
combination of threats . . ." to say/argue that the single ADFC covers
all ships in the 6 mu range, but is limited to the number of PDS, others
have done the latter with "infinite" PDS shots in a turn [which went
over like a lead balloon].

It generally comes down to the English language, and the definition of
what IS is.  A co-worker told me that law is nothing more than arguing
over the interpretation of the English language [his words].

John Leary <john_t_leary@yahoo.com> wrote:
--- Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
> Thomas Westbrook wrote:
> Unclear? The rule (FB1 p.7) says:
>
> "One ADFC allows the ship's PDS (any number of them)
> to fire at any
> combination of threats (Fighters, SMBs etc.) that
> are directly attacking
> one other ship that is within 6" of the
> ADFC-carrying ship."
> Regards,
>
> Oerjan

The 'one other ship' may not be the problem.
>From the limited statements provided, I think
that the people that Thomas plays with have
allowed the ADFC ship to fire all six PDS
at any and all attacking targets.
I.E. the six PDS fire at 7 attacking targets
with 6 PDS on each different target.
(3 torp fighters,
2 standard fighters, and 2 missiles.)
A second ADFC would allow the same for a
second ship.

Thomas will correct me if I am wrong, I hope.

Bye for now,
John L.