Prev: Re: [FT] Crew quality house rules Next: Re: [FT] Crew quality house rules

Re: [FT] Crew quality house rules

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:49:33 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Crew quality house rules

> The main mechanic I've played around with is weapon range - on the
> thoery that a highly skilled character can target weapons better at
> longer ranges, increasing their effectiveness. A high skill
therefore
> gives a reduction to effective range to targets.

You might like Noam's version of Stealth, then.  Ithought about that,
but the issue is that there will be ranges where a good crew can hit
and a poor crew has "zero chance" (rather than "little chance") of
hitting back.

> I like your mechanics, though my two issues with it are that I like
> high = good systems (they feel better), and that you'd need to keep
> piles of dice of all types, not just d6 (which is the nasty real
> world infringing on your nice theory).

You don't really have to reverse the dice -- you could just say, for
example, "for dN, a beam does 2+reroll on N, and 1 point of damage on
N-1 and N-2".  But I figured reversed would be easier to explain.  As
for multiple dice types--well, I play StarGrunt, so that's not really
an issue for me.

I should also have added, in response to Damond: an alternative would
be to have poorer quality ships roll thresholds before the battle
starts, to see how much gear is out of commission.  It was, I gather,
not that unusual to see a Soviet ship at anchor in the middle of
nowhere, waiting for a repair expert because equipment had broken down
and no one aboard knew how to fix it.

Prev: Re: [FT] Crew quality house rules Next: Re: [FT] Crew quality house rules