Prev: Re: FT Sensor Rules -- Request for Comments [LONG] Next: [FT] John Fu's FT 2.5 Star Trek ships

Re: FT Sensor Rules -- Request for Comments [LONG]

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:07:34 -0500
Subject: Re: FT Sensor Rules -- Request for Comments [LONG]

Chris:
>I don't think you understood Doug's point.

Well no one did, because I think I had several points in mind at the
same
time. Another one was the difference between simply detecting presence,
and
getting detailed useful information, which is a prime distinction in the
original rules, I think. You see an indistinct shadow in the yard, the
torch illuminates and defines, but adds little, even if expanded to a
searchlight, to the dot on the mountain.

Especially if the dot's moving, and the time-to-dot of the beam is a
significant amount.

I definitely was not trying to say active was LESS effective than
passive
at any range, just that the improvements to sensor returns that active
might add would hit a threshold of usefulness at a certain distance,
given
both the reduction in strength and time issues.

But, that would be me quibbling.

In the end, I was trying to suggest that PSB could probably go either
way,
and Jerry had the right idea of trying to keep to the spirit of the
original rules, which I'm still working the comparisons.

The_Beast

Prev: Re: FT Sensor Rules -- Request for Comments [LONG] Next: [FT] John Fu's FT 2.5 Star Trek ships