Prev: Re: UNSC ships Next: Re: FT Sensor Rules -- Request for Comments [LONG]

Re: FT Sensor Rules -- Request for Comments [LONG]

From: Tony Christney <tchristney@t...>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:33:17 -0700
Subject: Re: FT Sensor Rules -- Request for Comments [LONG]

Hi,

For two sensor suites detecting the same radiation signature, the
one with an active component will have the greater range, since it
is able to detect targets that do not emit with the detected signature,
and the reflections will add to any inherent emissions from the
target.

Your torch/tower example is really two examples of active sensors.
The passive component is your eye. The active component is the
torch in one case, and whatever is illuminating the tower in the
second. If that same tower was on top of a hill in the middle of
nowhere with a new moon, you won't see it.

One could write a book on this subject (in fact, some already have.)
Only in very few special case scenarios will passive sensors outrange
active sensors.

Cheers,
Tony C.