Prev: Re: Magnetic Basing material/steel paper Next: Re: Magnetic Basing material/steel paper

Re: My New Fleet

From: Thomas Westbrook <tom_westbrook@y...>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:56:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: My New Fleet

I thought that monitors were light craft with BIG guns and generally not
as fast as normal warships but faster than the bulk freight carrier, for
instance in the ACW, RIVER monitors could steam at about 4 or so knots
against the current, while in WW2 (according to Jane's Fighting Ships)
COASTAL monitors seems to be destroyers or corvettes with four
battleship main guns (12-in+ bores) in two or so turrets.  I would think
that if that class of monitor gave you a full broadside (and not a
rolling broadside) the monitor might capsize.

Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote: I thought Monitors had other
attributes, including slow as heck. "We brake
for nobody." Naval parlance has monitor nothing special save for one BIG
gun, right?

Tired of spam?	Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: Magnetic Basing material/steel paper Next: Re: Magnetic Basing material/steel paper